Author Topic: Oled's  (Read 3186 times)

Offline YHB

• VS Moderator
Oled's
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:39:57 PM »
I will confess to deliberatly ignoring Edwin's post regarding Oled screens- sorry Edwin ::)

I was struggling learning about the bits I had and could not cope with any more.

Time has gone on and I have slowly got a grasp of the basics and have now made the leap into the realms of Wifi and Serial interfaces.

The ModeMCU is 3.3 volts which seems to becoming more of a standard and all the other sensors I have are 3.3volt tolerant with the exception of the screens, currently 4X20 LCD's.

I now see that there are Oled screens that will operate at 3.3volts making a level shifter redundant.

So are there any preferences or pitfalls that I should look out for if I decide to change my screens to Oled's.

If this has been discussed before I cannot find it, so can you point me in the right direction.

Toodlepip

Brian
Where Thrift Becomes An Art-Form

Offline Edwin Croissant

• Global Moderator
Re: Oled's
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:40:52 AM »
I think that all of the small TFT screens are 3.3V. I started this venture with a Teensy 3.1. Thit board is 3.3V with 5V tolerant input pins. Had no problem using these small TFT screens.
The Oled screens are mostly monochrome and have a very high visibility. The 128 x 64 comes in two sizes, 0.96 and 1.3 inch. There are also 128 x 32 types.
The I2C are not very fast, the SPI are faster and come in two types, 6 and 7 pin. The 6 pin are missing the ChipSelect connection, normally not needed unless you want to connect a SD card or a second display.

Offline YHB

• VS Moderator
Re: Oled's
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:35:18 AM »
Edwin,

Thanks for the reply, I think you have nailed it in one.

The NodeMCU is severely lacking in pins, I would not like to go with anything that used more than 4, including power and ground.

I will stick with the 4 x 20 LCD, it will also save me learning yet another library. ;)

Toodlepip

Brian
Where Thrift Becomes An Art-Form