Author Topic: WiFi 1Wire with NodeMCU  (Read 4144 times)

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
WiFi 1Wire with NodeMCU
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »
You guys want to see the temperature on my back balcony? In real time, and with some history?

https://thingspeak.com/channels/232643

Components I used:
NodeMCU, about 3 bucks or a little less
breadboard, about 30 cents
ds18b20, about a buck
one 4.7K resistor and some hook up wires, about 10 cents at most
4 AA batteries and case, maybe a buck-fifty
Food container enclosure, a few cents

About 6 bucks total plus all day to get it working and linked to ThingSpeak, but only because I'm slow.

1.pngWiFi 1Wire with NodeMCU
* 1.png (310.69 kB. 350x262 - viewed 899 times.)

2.pngWiFi 1Wire with NodeMCU
* 2.png (111.73 kB. 350x262 - viewed 818 times.)

Anyone starting to smell a WiFi (wireless) eParrot?  ;D
Stay calm and follow the screaming people.

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
Re: WiFi 1Wire with NodeMCU
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »
Again and again you come up with new things , I love it  its great,you are never without idea's.

I needed this a couple of years ago , now there come 's a
1 wire  cable from outside all the way to the laptop ,but over that wire are coming 3 times 1 wire temp  sensors. and a 1 wire lightning detector that is the benefit you have using 1 wire,they all have a unique adress.
Better bad weather than no weather

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:51:31 AM »
.... 1 wire  cable from outside all the way to the laptop ,but over that wire are coming 3 times 1 wire temp  sensors. and a 1 wire lightning detector that is the benefit you have using 1 wire,they all have a unique adress.

The NodeMCU is a bit like a super Nano with a WiFi module soldered on to it.
It sports 16 GPIO pins and has lots more programing space than the Nano.
And yet it costs about the same as a Nano that does not have the extra memory or WiFi.
It can be programed using the Arduino IDE.

You could read dozens of 1wire devices with unique addresses or assign a GPIO pin to each single device.

ThingSpeak.com lets you upload up to 8 fields (device readings) per channel (web page?) so that's a lot of options for the free account.
And with the free account you are allowed to upload data about every 15 seconds... that's about two million times per year.

I bought two of these NodeMCU boards and one is on the back balcony. The other is hiding somewhere so the hunt for it has begun if I'm to start the next project  :D

Offline YHB

• VS Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »
Enough parts arrived today to allow me to start and assemble my effort.

Layout.jpgWiFi 1Wire with NodeMCU
* Layout.jpg (216.05 kB. 350x302 - viewed 721 times.)

OOPS forgot the loud speaker. :-[

Where Thrift Becomes An Art-Form

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 04:17:23 PM »
I probably have the world's worst AA batteries because I've already gone through two sets of 4 each (total of 8 batteries in just a couple of weeks).

Online chatter says to put it in "Deep Sleep" for 90+% of the time. Wake it up just long enough to send the data to ThingSpeak and put it to sleep again.
But this is a low power electronic device and I suspect the batteries are of very low quality.
For now, I just plugged a 5V wall wort transformer into it.

bat_died.PNGWiFi 1Wire with NodeMCU
* bat_died.PNG (20.18 kB. 350x229 - viewed 700 times.)

And now I have quite a lot of questions...

With the free ThingSpeak account we can send data to their cloud (servers somewhere)
  and ThingSpeak has a tool called MATLAB which appears to have the ability to store the %ABV conversion array

MATLAB could process the temperature it receives and return the %ABV data
  back to the NodeMCU and also stored in your cloud channel (ThingSpeak, but there are also others that provide this service)
  We could then display the ABV on a tiny OLED display.

In short, let the cloud do the work.
We plug in a WiFi enabled temperature probe and we receive a %ABV printed on a small, low power screen and data logging is automatically accomplished.

You could view the time, temperature and %ABV on your channel web page and also download it to Excel.
Surely there's already an app for viewing ThingSpeak channel data on a smart phone, if you like that kind of thing.

This eParrot truly could be about the size of a matchbox. Plus battery of course.

Setting up a ThingSpeak account is quick and easy (and Free!).
I'd think a reasonable budget for the necessary hardware would be about $10 IF you already have a WiFi signal in your home.
You very much need to know the SSID (WiFi name) and password as that needs to be put in to the sketch code.

Offline YHB

• VS Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
The possibilities are endless.

Thingspeak will also send you a "tweet" when certain parameters are met.

I am still intending to have my fermenter monitor progress, a Tweet telling me Fermentaion complete would be cool. It will save me getting on my hands and knees and sticking my head under the bench and looking in the fermenter with a torch.

I want my bottle alarm to be wireless and in addition to beeping when the bottle needs changing I want it to Display, %ABV, Amount in the bottle & Rate of fill.

First I have to build a wifi transmitter.
Where Thrift Becomes An Art-Form

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
... First I have to build a wifi transmitter.

tin-can-telephone.jpgWiFi 1Wire with NodeMCU
* tin-can-telephone.jpg (16.46 kB. 350x214 - viewed 696 times.)

If your router has an antenna on it then you should be good to go.

wi-fi-router-250x250.jpg
* wi-fi-router-250x250.jpg (7.95 kB. 250x250 - viewed 429 times.)

Mine has the antenna but I was thinking about that just today. I am surrounded by restaurants and shops that gladly offer free WiFi.
Just buy a bowl of soup and ask for the WiFi credentials.
If they changed the password I'd need to buy more soup  ;D ;D

--------------------------

How do you know when the ferment is finished? It couldn't be by temperature.
I remember a discussion previously about specific gravity... something like a large hydrometer with a string on it. One end of the string was secured to the hydro and the other to a pressure sensor. Something along that idea.

I have built hydrometers before. There is no magic to them at all.
Anything that you can fill about half full or less with, say, water and the other half is air - then seal it securely - can be used. It just needs to float.
Drop your homemade hydro and also a store bought hydro into your mash and take a reading on the store bought one. Transfer that reading to your homemade hydrometer.

Then put them both in clean water and mark those readings. From there you can get really, really close to replicating a store bought hydrometer.
Only now you can make them any size you want. Even big enough to pull on a string!