Author Topic: Deph Control by Motorised Ball Valve  (Read 22609 times)

Offline Eucyblues

Re: Deph Control by Motorised Ball Valve
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2016, 04:52:07 AM »
Google Drive link to the demo video - 30Mb - 6m30s (at the end there's a bit about the label)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3HbDPQKnW5LWTc2QnEwN3l6QUE/view?usp=sharing

EDIT - ShiFu has now added this to the VisionStills YouTube Channel

Link:

Thanks ShiFu :) :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:22:03 AM by Eucyblues »

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2016, 06:01:04 AM »
Will this hobby ever let up!!

I was thinking how nice it would be to have a display on the slave unit -

Needed to be small - the LCD's I have are all too big - so I bought a few of these :
http://www.avdweb.nl/Article_files/Arduino/Nokia-5110/Nokia-5110-LCD.jpg
Deph Control by Motorised Ball Valve

Now (with some more work) I should be able to show the following:

1/ water flow volume
2/ water temp
3/ valve opening
4/ eqivalent cooling

In standalone mode it could then be usefully used by those who don't have an eParrot/distillator

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:18:27 AM by Eucyblues »

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »
Update - I received 4 Nokia 5110 screens - 2 blue as in the photo above, and 2 red.

The blue one tested has a blue backlight and a missing line - In this board, the backlight is on when pulled HIGH

The red board has a white backlight which is on when pulled LOW

The red board has superior contrast - the blue one is rather poor overall

I'm not so impressed by these screens - the red one will do for now but I've also ordered a couple of 1.8" colour TFT screens (SPI) - $5.70 ea - I think these will be a better solution for small screen displays.  Both use 5 data pins although the Nokia can be squeezed down to 3

Forge on!!

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2016, 09:26:44 AM »
Update

Nokia Screen in

It was easy to get it working BUT.... The libraries are AGAIN very sparse.  This time in terms of larger fonts AND SO ...

I decided to go to a bitmapped screen mask to limit the text required.

WELL.. (lot's of shouting here) ... I spent 3 days stuffing around getting garbage bitmaps from all sources of code generators - I manually did a couple of small ones which worked

Last night I hit on the answer - Turns out that as per the old CALTEX (?) ad - "Oils ain't oils, Sol" .  The main problem lies in thhe fact that bmp's, jpg's, png's are not all 100% common.  And the code generators usually don't give you a preview of the loaded image file to check

After about the 100th or so search I found a ref to an image tool which has a Nokia specific setting and which does show a preview.  It showed the same garbage bitmaps I was getting on my screen until I found that I had to use a *.ico file on exporting from the image maker, then load it into MS Paint to convert to a bmp file, then load it into the code generator - bingo!!

So after much stuffing around I have what's shown:
P1380408 (Large).JPGDeph Control by Motorised Ball Valve
* P1380408 (Large).JPG (246.88 kB. 350x466 - viewed 944 times.)

The masking tape is a temp to shade the leds - I'll make a proper surround soon

Other connector bits have arrived so I should be able to get it all working soon

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2016, 01:42:07 PM »
I kinda know what you are going through Eucy,
I've been experimenting with Ladder Logic (PLC - programmable logic controller) on an arduino.
Something like;
Learn the ins and outs of the Ladder Logic language and create the alien code, stuff that into the LCMicro executable, produce the output, then wash that through a special website to convert it to arduino code, then manually clean that code up so it will compile with the arduino IDE and wallah... simple as that... you've got a state machine (PLC).  It really is just that simple!  Almost.

What could possibly go wrong? Especially since arduino libraries are not supported by the LCMicro executable.

It's so simple that any Nobel prize winning physicist in close collaboration with his NASA engineer/savant mathematician brother-in-law can easily do it. 

However,
Being more gifted/intelligent than some, I got an LED to blink.
But lacking the Nobel prize and savant brother-in-law I eventually gave up.
Seems the bro-in-law is only savant at borrowing money that never gets repaid.

All too typical of programs that are not quite ready to be useful (and in-laws that are never useful). 

-------------------

Eucyblues, you have made impressive progress with the ultra low cost Nokia 5110 screens. Edwin Croissant tried to steer us in that direction but I was distracted by the MUCH more expensive Nextion displays.
I hope we can someday revisit that and reach a consensus, a standard, to work with.   
We've used so many different kinds of hardware and forked, both hardware and code, into splinters that has confused anyone wanting to follow our progress.

Can you make a "Tried And True" step-by-step simple eParrot with your hardware set complete with ready to program code? With wiring diagram? 

I know it is a big challenge.
Stay calm and follow the screaming people.

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »
Thanks ShiFu - I sometimes wonder if I'll ever finish  ::)....keep plugging on..inch by inch

The Nokia is only for the valve controller - it does the job quite well as it turns out (it's very fast) - (I think Edwin was pointing to the even smaller OLED screens ??)

My end game (as long as it doesn't get extended..ha ha) is this

1/ Finish the valve controller
2/ incorporate the jar weighing (with a twist)
3/ tidy up the distillator build - I'll leave the voice stuff until later
4/ work more on the port to the Due - basics are working but i've left it alone for now

For the software - I will pursue providing compiled files which will bypass library issues - I tried it some time ago and it worked OK

So at the end I'll knock up a build list etc and shift it to the 'tried and true'

Then I may look at the voice stuff, other temp sensors etc etc ......wifi doesn't interest me much at the mo but you never know............

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2016, 07:56:28 AM »
Grumble grumble - I ordered mico usb male shells rather than mini by mistake - I've re-ordered but to avoid waiting another 4 weeks I've been searching for an alternative 5+ pin connector small enough to fit in my case (I already have mini USB female breakouts)

I chopped up a spare mini USB cable only to find that the 5th connector is unused (should have checked before cutting!) - tore the connector apart but the 5th pin had been cut flush

Try as I might I couldn't find anything suitable so I've had to order a pack of 5 male connectors from RS for $10 !! - YHB will be horrified !! - At least they have nice solder tabs

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2017, 12:01:35 PM »
Update
Box is CLOSED!!

Hooray!! - It's a jam-packed little box - I had some trouble along the way

1/ My experiment with using a micro USB connector with the valve failed - too fiddly, so I changed to 3.5mm connections - one mono + one stereo = 5 pins then made a custom plug to suit   

2/ Adding the socket and plug connectors for the valve caused all sorts of grief - The valve just did it's own thing altogether. I thought I'd fried either the Nano or the valve limit switches - swapped out the Nano - no change.  Then I thought of noise and realised that when I had the valve directly connected to the Nano, it worked OK without debouncing so i left it out for the limit switches.  When I added it back in it all worked perfectly again - who'da thunk a socket could do that !!

3/  Had some issues with the screen connectors - these Nokia screens have a compression connector and it can be troublesome - I fiddled around - made a mess with hot melt glue and so far it seems to be holding OK

So it now incorporates :

The deph temp sensor
digital flowmeter
I2C connection
Auto/manual operation
Reset switch
Switch to make/break power to Nano from the H Bridge ( so the Nano can be powered from the USB for programming and running the serial monitor while the valve is separately powered from the DC supply - then when done, disconnect the USB, flick the switch and away it goes from the DC)

All pins on the Nano bar one GPIO and the TX pin have been used

Next step is to do a real flow test

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:07:40 PM by Eucyblues »

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2017, 09:44:15 AM »
Update:

Controller mounted on column

Playing around testing - Some results :

1/ The brass inline flowmeter seems to need about 0.7l/min flow to operate - the turbine wheel is much smaller than the flat type so I guess it takes more urge to turn it - I'll probably try one of the flat plastic types to see how they go

2/ Based on physically timing flows, the ball valve reaches approx 70% of full flow @ 27 degrees opening - so shut @13 and 70% @ 27 - I cut the steps down to 0.5 degrees - I remain optimistic that that range will work OK - wait and see

3/ Modified the screen writes to show valve position only when actually moving - then it reverts to showing water temp and flow

4/ Made mounts by cutting sections of PVC conduit - heating and flattening, and re-bending to suit - hooks over the tri-clamp screw - works well

There's some light leakage around the screen but....

I'll do a run using it in manual mode before tackling auto

Offline YHB

• VS Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
Looking Good - This is starting to get interesting  :D :D
Where Thrift Becomes An Art-Form

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
Eucy,great what you have made so far,Iám impressed.
Hope the first auto run is a great succes  ;)
Better bad weather than no weather

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »
Thanks K3
I won't be doing a run of any kind until the weather breaks
It's 40c here today and my recirc water supply tank is outside
8.30pm now and it's still 38c
41c predicted for tomorrow  :(
Where are those climate change sceptics..  >:(
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:43:09 PM by Eucyblues »

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2017, 02:44:51 PM »
Ok than we have to wait,but it will work , if not a home build is more easy to upgrade or change.

Must be hard with that temp do do any work at all,I never had this temps in my area.

Further I can still all year around no cooling problems maybe a bit hot in the shed in the summer
 as it is under the roof ;)

Again and again I'am impressed what al is made , build , developed,overhere.
I will be making choises for what I want on my still and start planning the build.

Offline YHB

• VS Moderator
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »

I won't be doing a run of any kind until the weather breaks
It's 40c here today and my recirc water supply tank is outside
8.30pm now and it's still 38c

I am doing a spirit run, barely need any cooling on the PC - its snowing.

I like the snow ;D ;D
Where Thrift Becomes An Art-Form

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2017, 03:43:52 PM »
Ha ha Yhb I can do the same if I want its freezing cold over here,about -2 C . but the wind makes it like -10 C

Sorry Eucy 8)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:27:46 PM by ketel3 »

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »
That's OK... We get extremes here
Goes down to minus 8 often in winter

I just watched an episode of "Escape to the Country".. Set in Yorkshire... Too cold for crops so they run those scraggy highland cattle.. they looked like they'd enjoy being here.. provided they had a haircut  ;D