Author Topic: Another g'day from Oz  (Read 6279 times)

Offline lilbigadventure

Another g'day from Oz
« on: June 10, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Another antipodean here. Stumbled across this site in search of an electric parrot as the one place I can find them in Aus is sold out and not sure when they are restocking.

This absolute gem of a site is wonderful and I do love a little DYI, so why not make one of these amazing creations I've seen.

I've been reading through a few of the threads here, roughly from my initial wandering I'm of the impression that these are as good if not better than the ones I could purchase from a certain still shop in Aus. They have more functionality. Please correct me if I'm wrong, still early days reading through these pages.

Looking forward to learning a whole lot more about these.

Cheers.

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
Re: Another g'day from Oz
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:02:47 PM »
Hello lilbigadventure,
Great you found us.
If the one you can buy has more features I doint know.
Maybe you can post a link ?

Fact is the eparrot can do all you can think of , according read out your still, BUT it is not a controller.
It has several alarms,and show you the abv,and heatup time ,kettel pressure with alarm , log your data and so on.

Please feel free to ask in case there are questions,at the other hand we hope you will contribute to the forum.
As a start maybe a few pictures of your still and what you so all make.
Cheers K3
Better bad weather than no weather

Offline lilbigadventure

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 05:03:44 PM »
I just did a quick search around the site, seems like there is some bad juju about this other company (stilldragon... mods feel free to remove if required). Just found a vid where someone dismantles one of their $300 eparrots. Jesus christ, not keen on it, karmas a mean mistress.

DYI it is. Keen to get started and build myself one. :)

I'll grab a few pics of my still and chuck em up. Its a 4" bubbler with a few added extras I've built. Thumper, carterhead. etc. Enjoy building more than running the dang thing I reckon.

I had a brief attempt at configuring the still into a continuous stripper, was able to get it to function however not 100% on its efficiency. Lots more learning to do, found a textbook with some good reading but haven't sat down and poured the required time in to it yet.

Cheers.

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 05:20:11 PM »
If you start building than it is good to know that there are 2 versions.
So also take the right downloads on github.
A continue stripper ,there is a version from forum member Swestill.

Stealdragon , well for me not worth to spend energy about.

Offline lilbigadventure

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 07:02:12 PM »
Cheers Ketel, pretty excited to start this.

When you say that there are two versions what do you mean by that? Is it not all the same parrot using the same parts and code? or is the difference between the two version depending on which temp sensors you use. either the DS18B20 or SMT172?

I've just started reading the GRB parrot build thread.

Just to clarify, when using two temp sensors. Is the boiler temp sensor placed within the boiler liquid or within the boiler vapour head space above the liquid?

Will most likely have many more questions to ask as I keep reading. Will add those further questions to the appropriate thread.

cheers

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 09:40:47 PM »
Ok than.
There is a version with the use of the small pcb Edwin developed,and a version without.
They use different hardware like arduino , and sketch.
I suggest you to do some reading to start with.

I tried the ds18b20 into the boiler vapor path ,but into the boiler liquid is more stabil and the showed heatup time is better.

I mounted a ds18b20 into a small stainless steel pipe with silicone sealand , and installed it into the kettle with a pipe end coupling if I remember well  8mmx1/4"   it is such a great feature to see how much time there is left to reach the heat temp you have set.

I used first only ds18b20  sensors , but a smt172  is way better ,as the steps for abv are large with a ds18b20.
So I use 4 sensors, 1 ds18b20 into the boiler  ,  1 smt172 to measure abv   ,  1 ds18b20 vent holes alarm sensor  ,
1 ds18b20  cooling water sensor.

Please order the right lcd screen , a rgb type , as another forum member just ordered a normal one and it will not work.
I hope they still are available @ Robotdyne.

Offline lilbigadventure

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »
Cheers K3,

Life got busy, but now I'm back.

I'm going to be ordering the following:

UNO R3 CH340G https://robotdyn.com/uno-r3-smt-atmega328-usb-serial-ch340g-micro-usb.html
Barometric Pressure Sensor - BMP280 https://robotdyn.com/barometric-pressure-sensor-bmp280.html
Data logger shield for Arduino, MicroSD-card + RTC (Assembled) https://robotdyn.com/data-logger-shield-for-arduino-microsd-card-rtc.html
LCD RGB 16x2 + keypad +Buzzer Shield for Arduino https://robotdyn.com/lcd-rgb-16x2-keypad-buzzer-shield-for-arduino.html

I've been doing a fair bit of reading through the forums, but with this being my first foray into arduino I'm finding some of the terms and conversation a little above my pay grade. However persistence and re-reading things a few days later it is making a little more sense slowly.

I would like to go down the route of using a ds18b20 sensor in the boiler liquid, and using a smt172 to measure the vapour abv.

I have downloaded the sketch for the SMT172 from here https://github.com/EdwinCroissant/eParrotRgbLcdSMT172

I need an eeprom in order to make the smt172 function. Edwin recommends using a 24cl256 eeprom. However robotdyne only stock these two:
RTC DS3231 + EEPROM ATC02 module, with battery https://robotdyn.com/rtc-ds3231-eeprom-atc02-module-with-battery.html
EEPROM Data Module - AT24C256 https://robotdyn.com/eeprom-data-module-at24c256.html

Do you know which one I would require?

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 04:57:23 PM »
I will send Edwin a mail and see if he can give some advise.

Offline lilbigadventure

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »
Cheers Ketel

Offline Edwin Croissant

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 01:57:23 PM »

Do you know which one I would require?

This one: EEPROM Data Module - AT24C256 https://robotdyn.com/eeprom-data-module-at24c256.html

Good luck!

Edwin

Offline lilbigadventure

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 06:39:45 PM »
This one: EEPROM Data Module - AT24C256 https://robotdyn.com/eeprom-data-module-at24c256.html

Good luck!

Edwin

Cheers Edwin, much appreciated.  :)

Offline lilbigadventure

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 07:22:43 AM »
Has anyone heard from Robotdyn lately.... put an order in with them in July and have been getting the stuff around from them for ages. Finally said that a part was missing and they would refund it and ship the remaining items. Haven't heard squat for a month, tried emailing them last night and both emails on their website bounced back....... they shut up shop and taken my money?

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »
Were did you send the mail to ? 

Contact RobotDyn
Sales Department: sales@robotdyn.com
Technical support: support@robotdyn.com

I hope you can solve it,they have a Russian office also,in case your mails are bounced back again ask them for assistance.
K3

Offline lilbigadventure

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 08:25:00 AM »
Were did you send the mail to ? 

Contact RobotDyn
Sales Department: sales@robotdyn.com
Technical support: support@robotdyn.com

I hope you can solve it,they have a Russian office also,in case your mails are bounced back again ask them for assistance.
K3

Both emails.... have previously been able to contact them on sales@robotdyn but it bounced recently, then tried support@robotdyn as a backup option and it also bounced.

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »
I have send them a mail,let see what happens.
Cheers.

I also have send a mail to Paul.
Europe, Asia, Africa, LATAM & Oceania

PAUL HANNES

Mobile: +1-909-345-02-49

WhatsApp / Telegram: +7-925-476-26-84

Skype / WeChat: Paul-RobotDyn

E-mail: Paul@RobotDyn.com

Mon.-Fri.: 07:00-18:00 (GMT)

Offline lilbigadventure

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 03:13:54 PM »
I have send them a mail,let see what happens.
Cheers.

I also have send a mail to Paul.
Europe, Asia, Africa, LATAM & Oceania

PAUL HANNES

Mobile: +1-909-345-02-49

WhatsApp / Telegram: +7-925-476-26-84

Skype / WeChat: Paul-RobotDyn

E-mail: Paul@RobotDyn.com

Mon.-Fri.: 07:00-18:00 (GMT)

Hey Ketel,

I sent an email to Paul at the email above.... no response after a week.

Did you have any luck getting in contact with Paul/robotdyn?

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 05:05:22 PM »
Unfortunately NO.
Not from Robotdyne and not from Paul,no reaction on mails,and Paul also not on whats app.
If you have skype ? Maybe ?

They could be reorganising ?

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »

Offline TOMBSTONE

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 03:56:38 PM »