Author Topic: RGB eParrot Questions and Answers  (Read 24793 times)

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
Re: RGB eParrot Questions and Answers
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 02:11:43 AM »
Hi Bluc,
We all did, and when Edwin advise so and he is the developer  why would you do different  ???
Come on cut it off  :) it doesnt hurt you at all. /thumbsUp
Better bad weather than no weather

Offline bluc

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 02:21:31 AM »
I just did, and it only hurt a little. Such a lovely piece of electronic wizardry I felt a bit worried about cutting a pin of him  :-[

Offline bluc

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 03:19:30 AM »
By the way my question was no reflection on you edwin I am just curious and enjoy knowing how things work  :)

Offline bluc

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
The vent alarms are they for cooling water exit temps? I did mine with duoponts bit of a nest but will be hidden from view. Seems to work..

Offline bluc

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »
Couple of questions. Wondering I dont have my pressure sensor yet may be couple months. So I hooked everything else up and after setting date time and zeroing the offsets i reboot and am greeted with this screen
Resized_20180220_171234_8769001.jpgRGB eParrot Questions and Answers
* Resized_20180220_171234_8769001.jpg (235.65 kB. 350x720 - viewed 1020 times.)
The alarm goes off screen flashing different colours. So guessing top line is boiler pressure error because no pressure sensor. So the bottom line is that the boiler and vapour temp? Will the parrot function normally if used like this, besides the boiler alarm at boot? I did not bypass the boiler pressure..

Offline bluc

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2018, 02:33:33 PM »
I see the vent sensors go at mouth of  condensers  ;D i will only need one one the bubbler ;D

Offline Edwin Croissant

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 01:34:18 AM »
No baro connected what is the cs?

CS is the chip select of the SD card. The Arduino communicates with the SD card through the SPI interface. This is like the I2C also a serial bus but needs for each connected device a chip select signal.

You can disable each vent alarm and the boiler pressure sensor by connecting A0 (boiler) , A1 (vent 2) or A2 (vent 1) to ground.

Offline bluc

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 04:55:40 AM »
Thanks edwin. So it seems one of the sides of my battery holder on the data logging board is not soldered on properly. Should both sides be soldeted down solid? My parrot is not holding settings when powery removed. Battery volts 3.1 according to my multimeter..

Offline bluc

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »
Soldered battery holder back down all good now and its saving settings.

Curious about the vent alarm it goes off when I boot it up but says healty. Then any change of temp sets it off. I would have thought it would go off at a predetermined temp. Is this normal behaviour or have I got some fault happening. And can I change the Temp it goes off at?

Offline bluc

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2018, 10:38:13 AM »
In the latest program version I made a compiler switch for a temperature sensor after the RC.

Code: [Select]
/*
 * -----Experimental-----
 * The vapor from a boiling water ethanol mixture is superheated.
 * In a CM still the vapor after passing the reflux condenser is
 * no longer superheated, resulting in a lower temperature.
 * #define HOTVAPOR 0 when the temperature sensor is placed after the
 * reflux condenser. Please note that at full reflux the vapor
 * temperature is lost.
 */

#define HOTVAPOR 1

I think that measuring the vapor temperature after the RC is more accurate, a disadvantage might be that at full reflux the temperature reading is lost as no vapor get through. But maybe uncondensable gasses in the wash pass through giving you some kind of indication. Please let us know :)

My two cents for the placement of the boiler temperature sensor is below the lowest fluid level and some distance away from the heating element.

Cheers,

Edwin
How do i adjust the sketch to enable the temp sensor above the rc do I just go into T2ABV.h and change
#Define HOTVAPOR 1 to
#define HOTVAPOR 0 on line 33?

Offline Edwin Croissant

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 01:26:43 AM »
How do i adjust the sketch to enable the temp sensor above the rc do I just go into T2ABV.h and change
#Define HOTVAPOR 1 to
#define HOTVAPOR 0 on line 33?

That is correct :)

Soldered battery holder back down all good now and its saving settings.

Curious about the vent alarm it goes off when I boot it up but says healty. Then any change of temp sets it off. I would have thought it would go off at a predetermined temp. Is this normal behaviour or have I got some fault happening. And can I change the Temp it goes off at?

The temperature sensor of the vent alarm is to be mounted near the vent site of your product condenser.  If the cooling fails hot vapor will escape through this vent and is supposed to hit the sensor. The program will give an alarm if the absolute temperature measured by that sensor is above 60C or if the temperature rises more then 0.5C in one second. These values can be changed in MyPinsAndSettings.h:

* ---( compiled settings )--- */

const int8_t ForesAlarm = -10; // 10 C below azeotrope
const int8_t VentAlarmTemperature = 60;
const float VentAlarmDeltaTemperature = 0.5;
const uint8_t BoilerAlarmPressure = 100;

Offline bluc

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2018, 08:19:27 AM »
The part about the alarm being triggered when it rises by more than .5 second is what had me baffled. Cool idea and should work well

Offline bluc

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2018, 06:13:10 AM »
In the latest program version I made a compiler switch for a temperature sensor after the RC.

/*
 * -----Experimental-----
 * The vapor from a boiling water ethanol mixture is superheated.
 * In a CM still the vapor after passing the reflux condenser is
 * no longer superheated, resulting in a lower temperature.
 * #define HOTVAPOR 0 when the temperature sensor is placed after the
 * reflux condenser. Please note that at full reflux the vapor
 * temperature is lost.
 */

#define HOTVAPOR 1

I think that measuring the vapor temperature after the RC is more accurate, a disadvantage might be that at full reflux the temperature reading is lost as no vapor get through. But maybe uncondensable gasses in the wash pass through giving you some kind of indication. Please let us know :)

My two cents for the placement of the boiler temperature sensor is below the lowest fluid level and some distance away from the heating element.

Cheers,

Edwin

So got impatient waiting for my case and my new pc needed cleaning so i am currently doing a cleaning run and using rgb eparrot for first time.With vapour sensor after rc in full reflux the vapour temp sits on 42.44 c so no % reading. At moment parrot is not calibrated/no offsets, running it as is to see how it behaves first.

Offline bluc

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2018, 07:11:18 AM »
Uncalibrated It sits 2% below non temp corrected alcoholmeter so I reakon its pretty close  8)

Offline Edwin Croissant

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2018, 12:42:03 AM »
Uncalibrated It sits 2% below non temp corrected alcoholmeter so I reakon its pretty close  8)

Nice  ;D

What was the percentage and barometric pressure?

Offline bluc

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »
No idea it was round 92 most of run but didnt get baro reading I will next run ;D

Offline bluc

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »
Busy afternoon ;)

Resized_20180306_195657_9480.jpgRGB eParrot Questions and Answers
* Resized_20180306_195657_9480.jpg (236.55 kB. 350x170 - viewed 782 times.)

Offline bluc

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 04:30:34 PM »
I think that the best way to connect the sensor to the boiler is with a 50 cm piece of silicon tube (2x4 mm) to a larger diameter vertical tubing on the boiler. I think that the air in the silicone tube will act as a separator between the sensor and the hot vapor. (please note that this is untested)
The larger vertical tubing is preferable transparent (PTFE?) so the operator can observe that the pressure connection to the boiler is not blocked by foam.

I am not aware of an affordable sensor that can measure 20cm H2O or so in stainless steel.
The sensor seems to be very stable and is used in washing machines to measure the water level. the pressure side of the diagram is sealed with silicone.

If you are going to try this you might be the first one and your feed back will be appreciated :)

Still working out best way to attach the pressure sensor, it arrived today. Will length of the tube to eparrot have an impact? I have more like 1.5m space between parrot and boiler.. thinkin a pipe through my 1.5" end cap would be best way findinb pipe small enough may be an issue.

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2018, 09:33:50 PM »
Boiler pressure sensor for the RGB is a tool in my toolbox that has not been used yet. So your input data and experience for that is sorely missing, bluc.

Edwin made it available for the RGB/eParrot but I've not implemented it yet.

It is on my To-do list.   

PLEASE let us know all the details if/when it is working for you.   
Stay calm and follow the screaming people.

Offline bluc

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »
When setting vap offset after a setting is saved if a value of 0 offset is then saved does it zero the previous setting or do setting compound until battery is removed. Getting very erratic behaviour i offsetted it to match my analouge parrot but it does not follow my parrots reading. Eparrot 40% normal parrot 85% has me stumped... :o