Author Topic: Jeff's RGB LCD Enclosure  (Read 13890 times)

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
Re: Jeff's RGB LCD Enclosure
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
I'll be making more prints of the RGB enclosure and taking the (for me) unprecedented step of actually recording the slice3r settings to fine tune the prints and the printer. If only I'd started doing that sooner!

black beauty.pngJeff's RGB LCD Enclosure
* black beauty.png (130.32 kB. 350x197 - viewed 1048 times.).

Slic3r Settings for RGB eParrot.pngJeff's RGB LCD Enclosure
* Slic3r Settings for RGB eParrot.png (76.44 kB. 350x471 - viewed 1044 times.)
As always, click on image to enlarge and then expand again.

Edit: These settings are a Work In Progress!
The "Body Bottom" section will NOT print correctly without infill and support material (ask me how I know).
Stay calm and follow the screaming people.

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 04:52:53 AM »
And then, just as Jeff promised, everything printed and fit together perfectly.

No problems at all getting the enclosure assembled with the electronics inside.

the pair.pngJeff's RGB LCD Enclosure
* the pair.png (244.92 kB. 350x466 - viewed 964 times.)

Offline jeffpeterson77

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 08:08:05 PM »
Here is the link to the files on Thingiverse

I am set up for tipping the designer so please feel free to download and if you would like to throw a tip my way I would appreciate it.

Always nice but not required! 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2546540

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »
Here is the link to the files on Thingiverse

I am set up for tipping the designer so please feel free to download and if you would like to throw a tip my way I would appreciate it.

Always nice but not required! 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2546540

I sent you a tip via Thingiverse. Very well deserved!

Offline jeffpeterson77

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 07:57:19 PM »
I saw that, much appreciated :)

Thanks

Offline bluc

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 07:07:14 AM »
Any one here be interested in printing me one of these enclosures out? in a week or so?

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »
Any one here be interested in printing me one of these enclosures out? in a week or so?

I got in contact with the guy from the link below.
He made it for me ,the one on the movie is just a example , he makes exact the one as shown here on eparrot.
Mail him to speak about the price , for me the price was ok.
His mail
stijn.decocker@gmail.com

A tip ask him for a couple of extra buttons as that is the weak part of this design ,and Im planning to make those from silicone.
Cheers K3
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:09:16 PM by ketel3 »
Better bad weather than no weather

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2018, 03:59:35 PM »
I was planning to make the silicon buttons today,but decided different during making them.
The problem with the buttons Jeff designed was that there is a stress area on the right side buttons
the right arrow button and the set or select button,sometimes you press both due the stress of the underlayer of the buttons.

So the other buttons are working fine.

So I had the idea to cut the button pad in 2 and make te set/select button loose from the rest,and now they can move freely,no more problems during programming if you use the right arrow and also press the select button at the same time,this is over now.
Have a look  :D

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »
Hum, I get to print my own eParrot enclosures which means MANY hours of fixing mistakes after one print and before the next print.
Trimming and rounding off edges is all part of the 3D printing experience  :)

My cheap equipment (cost to me about $200) can print one eParrot enclosure per day. Two is also possible. But they are bulky and CANNOT be sent in an e-packet so shipping is prohibitively expensive.

And adjusting the 3D printer's parameters is both complicated and time consuming as the results of a tiny design change can take hours to manifest for each iteration.

If we ever do get this exactly right and people line up 4 wide and 100 deep to buy them (one can dream) then a precision mold could maybe be afforded to cheaply produce these enclosures.
Until then, I'm glad K3 is helping to solve these issues with the "fit and finish".

*** On another note, a recent visit to the HUGE electronics market here in Shenzhen, I saw lots of samples of silicone (or rubber?) push button inserts that are typically found in many electronic "selector" assemblies. Sure, there would be a set up fee and you'd absolutely need to know what you want without any changes as many hundreds or thousands would be cheaply produced after the mold fee is paid.

I'm thinking "screw all that", the future is touch screens. That would be a real game changer but it could also triple the current eParrot cost. It would also more than triple the current functionality. Think on-screen charts and graphs... 

I just don't know how to do the Graphical User Interface yet.

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »
Yes your right the eparrot is working fine , very very fine,it is relaxing to do a run with the extra safety's that the eparrot gives ,the name is less than the eparrot can do.
Edwin has plans for a toch screen too so the eparrot wil evaluate  :)