Author Topic: I remember when...  (Read 4708 times)

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
I remember when...
« on: April 23, 2017, 06:57:25 PM »
I remember when... 

I knew nothing.
Less than nothing.
Because almost everything I knew about distilling was wrong.

Almost everything I read was wrong. And everything my brother-in-law ever said, about anything, was 110% wrong.

And I absorbed all that misinformation like a sponge.

Then, sometime about 1992 or 93, I stumbled on to something new. A website (internet was new even then) of some guy that made a still from an old milk can.
This site had all the answers that I had been looking for!
And it, too, was mostly misinformation.
But it was a start.

I followed the directions... but for the life of me I couldn't lay hands on a milk can and at the time I had never thought to use a beer keg.
So I used the only thing available - a used 5 gallon steel paint can.
(And I'm still alive today to tell the tale.)

The column cooling, if you could call it that, was less than adequate. I'd say it was a complete failure.
The marbles (yes, marbles) were specified for column packing so the great hunt to get enough marbles was on!

In the meantime, a burner was needed to provide the power for this marvel of engineering and a "turkey cooker" and two propane tanks were added to the ever-growing arsenal of explosives. And STOP! Hold the phone!!, what is that!!?? The answer to the meaning of life and everything....  TURBO YEAST!
Now all the pieces are fitting into place. 

A still that will, according to the website, produce pure delicious alcohol. Just need more marbles.
And this turbo yeast that is GUARANTEED to ferment sugar in 3 or 4 days into 24% alcohol.
Yes! Visions of making real booze with this marble holder balanced on a paint can while cooking turbo yeast was almost more than I could stand! 
This is going to be absolutely epic. A guaranteed success.

What could possibly go wrong? Absolutely nothing, of course.
I am ready for success.
This is my destiny.

And then I run the still for the first time.

The punchline is that I spent the following week patching holes and stopping vapor leaks.
Two pounds of solder later...
The first few clear drops of golden goodness began flowing from the still. Yes, heaven does exist. This is loving proof!

I convinced myself that the trickle from the still, now fully blessed with every available marble in a 5 mile radius, was the finest booze ever made in human history.
And that lasted for about 10 minutes.
No amount of water could be added to the Obviously Pure Gold to make it not taste and smell like gasoline.

And then, for no good reason, the still did something strange.
Somewhere between me turning all the controls for reflux and boiler power numerous times in every direction, I sampled a shot of booze that didn't make me vomit.
In fact, it was almost not bad!

And that was how I learned to distill.

Years later I learned much more from online distilling sites. HomeDistiller taught me the most (probably 90+% of what I learned as a noobie)  but shamefully, for me, I moved to China and was kicked out by the sinophobes.
A few years later... Artisan Distiller came along because Pint got kicked out - along with punkin and other flunkies.
By then Artisan was condemned to always sucking hind tit.
The Russian's only claim to fame was what they could steal. And steal they did. Masterful theft. Very impressive. 
Modern distiller and Aussie distiller both died because they never really had anything, unless they could steal it.
And they were not good at stealing, copying yes but not stealing. It takes a Russian to steal well.
So HomeDistiller reigns supreme while they condone wholesale theft and give the Russians a free pass.
I guess it kind of makes sense because Aussie distiller is relegated to the "I could have stolen that too if someone would have told me".

The brother-in-law?, he has long since passed. Rest in Peace.
His recipe, as best as I can remember, was "a trash can, clean if possible, with 10 pounds of corn meal, 20 pounds of sugar, a pound of yeast and fill with water. After a week of hot weather run it through the quill".
Never knew the "quill" bit but I suppose it meant the still.
He quit drinking a few years before he died because he woke up in a ditch.
Stay calm and follow the screaming people.

Offline Eucyblues

Re: I remember when...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »

Years later I learned much more from online distilling sites. HomeDistiller taught me the most (probably 90+% of what I learned as a noobie)  but shamefully, for me, I moved to China and was kicked out by the sinophobes.
A few years later... Artisan Distiller came along because Pint got kicked out - along with punkin and other flunkies.
By then Artisan was condemned to always sucking hind tit.
The Russian's only claim to fame was what they could steal. And steal they did. Masterful theft. Very impressive. 
Modern distiller and Aussie distiller both died because they never really had anything, unless they could steal it.
And they were not good at stealing, copying yes but not stealing. It takes a Russian to steal well.
So HomeDistiller reigns supreme while they condone wholesale theft and give the Russians a free pass.
I guess it kind of makes sense because Aussie distiller is relegated to the "I could have stolen that too if someone would have told me".

Whoa !! - there's some stuff in there I know nothing about !! ???

Offline Swedish Pride

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
only because i stumbled upon the forums before i did something stupid I might not have had much different experience to that, I was eyeing up the amazing still and turbo as an viable method of making whiskey.
so much misinformation about even in this day an age, nevermind back in when you used a modem for internet, if that.

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:09:05 PM »
I remember when I read Shifu's story how it was in the past,I was back into the past for a moment reading all about his adventures.
Maybe I write down my own begining later on.
Better bad weather than no weather

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:09:07 AM »
So ShiFu - where on earth do the Russians fit in ?? - I'm intrigued now - I knew vaguely that the NZ guy Tony Ackland had his site usurped somehow but I can't remember the details.

Are you meaning HomeDistiller.org??

And what does this mean "So HomeDistiller reigns supreme while they condone wholesale theft and give the Russians a free pass"

And where does this one fit in (or doesn't it) :http://www.homedistilling.com

And I get the feeling that you had a bleak day  :(- cheer up old ChinaPlate  ;)(Oz slang)

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:13:56 AM »
I remember when I read Shifu's story how it was in the past,I was back into the past for a moment reading all about his adventures.
Maybe I write down my own begining later on.

Yes, please do! It was and still is quite the adventure.

@Swedish Pride, my first computer was one of the "stupid boxes", it had no dial up modem.
My next computer was cutting edge. It had a massive 50 MB hard drive, 8 MB of RAM, upgraded to the new Windows 3.0, and it had a modem.
No CD or DVD yet, it was still using floppy disks. It was just enough to get online with AOL (internet service provider).
Web pages would load incredibly fast - sometimes in less than a minute.

And through it all, the births and deaths, the highs and lows, the kids, the dogs, and the houses and automobiles... I'll never forget the first few drops that came from that first still. It was pure magic. 

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:13:32 AM »
So ShiFu - where on earth do the Russians fit in ?? - I'm intrigued now - I knew vaguely that the NZ guy Tony Ackland had his site usurped somehow but I can't remember the details.

Are you meaning HomeDistiller.org??

And what does this mean "So HomeDistiller reigns supreme while they condone wholesale theft and give the Russians a free pass"

And where does this one fit in (or doesn't it) :http://www.homedistilling.com

And I get the feeling that you had a bleak day  :(- cheer up old ChinaPlate  ;)(Oz slang)

Tony Ackland is a living legend. He started it all.
Unless something has changed Homedistiller.org still pays homage to him and referred to him as "the parent site".

I don't know how homedistilling.com fits in. I don't think they are associated with homedistiller.org
Sorry if I got those mixed up. Easy to do when the domains are almost identical.

Homedistiller.org is a great distilling site, it always has been. Just don't make the mistake of asking a nooby question or being anything other than a white skin hillbilly.
Of course there are probably Russians that don't steal other people's work and claim that they invented it. Probably.

But enough of all that. The past is so tangled because we each see everything through different eyes.
The joy of creating something wonderful (a beer, a bottle of booze, a loaf of bread...) is the best part of life.   

Offline law-of-ohms

• Pro
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »
The first few drops that came from my first still I set on fire!, cant beat a copper worm in a bucket of water.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.