Author Topic: ThingSpeak and ESP8266-01  (Read 4329 times)

Offline YHB

• VS Moderator
ThingSpeak and ESP8266-01
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
It has taken a lot of effort and head banging to get as far as I have with Arduino's. I do no feel very enthusiastic about learning new boards and languages. What I am looking for is a cheap addon for existing boards to log and timestamp data.

The most basic of the ESP8266 modules the ESP8266-01 in conjuncxtion with ThingSpeak looks as though it might do what I am looking for.

DSC03447.JPGThingSpeak and ESP8266-01
* DSC03447.JPG (87.06 kB. 350x230 - viewed 705 times.)
esp01s.jpgThingSpeak and ESP8266-01
* esp01s.jpg (36.45 kB. 350x350 - viewed 671 times.)

The ESP8266-01 is a 3.3 volt board, there is an adapter that will convert the Arduino 5.0 volt supply.

adapter.jpgThingSpeak and ESP8266-01
* adapter.jpg (51.68 kB. 350x350 - viewed 645 times.)

https://thingspeak.com/
Where Thrift Becomes An Art-Form

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
Re: ThingSpeak and ESP8266-01
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:58:30 PM »
We maybe need to sinc boards? Mine was about $4 and has wifi that I have just now addressed but have not got working just yet.

It seems that the iot (internet of things) is a much bigger deal than anyone of us could have imagined.

We should figure this IOT (internet of things) out.
Stay calm and follow the screaming people.

Offline Edwin Croissant

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:23:06 AM »
The guy with the Swiss accent, Andreas Spiess,  made some nice progress and video's on YouTube about this subject.

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »
The guy with the Swiss accent, Andreas Spiess,  made some nice progress and video's on YouTube about this subject.

I love that guy, Edwin. But I have to be careful, when I start watching his videos I just can't seem to stop! 
You recommended OLED displays a long time ago. I can see now how great they are and they are so CHEAP to buy.

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
Shifu..the only oleds I can find are only 0.96" (128×64) in size @$5 ..Are they the ones you mean??

The 1.4" Nokia screens are small enough ..It was hard to fit meaningful stuff on that..particularly with my eyesight   ::)

I've just received 2/ 1.8" TFT SPI (non-touch) 128x160 screens to try..@$6 these seem to me to be possibly the best solution for a small, cheap full colour screen..time will tell

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
Yep, 0.96" for about 4 bucks delivered to my door almost instantly (bite on that Amazon.com).
The screens ARE small but in the big scheme of things they are not necessary. They are useful for learning how to work with the ESP8266. I bought mine so I could follow along with the YouTube crowd but probably flashing an LED On and Off would have been just as useful. That would have been a lot less libraries to download and install!

The real purpose of the 8266 is to send and receive data by WiFi. Displaying to a screen, in my opinion, is better served by using an Arduino but I probably feel this way only because I've already figured out how to get an assortment of screens working with the different flavors of Arduinos. 

The prices that I've seen for an Arduino WiFi solution are a bit spendy compared to the 8266 (about $3.40 USD including delivery for the NodeMCU board). I also bought a USB to TTL dongle for it before learning that it is happily programmed by the Arduino IDE (when the right libraries are installed) so the dongle was unnecessary.

It seems the ESP8266 dominates in the IoT universe.
One baby step at a time, I'm trying to take the "DI" out of IDIOT so I can IOT, at least for me  ;D

The first hurdle is behind me now - I can flash code to the 8266.
And the code looks like what we would expect from Arduino... 
Here is a snippet:

Code: [Select]
    // display text
  display.setTextSize(3);
  display.setTextColor(WHITE);
  display.setCursor(2,1);
  display.println(" Hello Tan :)");
  display.display();
  delay(2000);
  display.clearDisplay();

A quirk is the display.display();. Seems you tell it what to display and this line says "Now you can display it".
Makes sense.

Offline YHB

• VS Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:14 PM »
I wired up my ESP8266 to my idiots parrot and loaded up the code to get it to communicate with ThingSpeak, obviously it did not, so I started trouble shooting.

Poking around at the board I touched one of the chips and burnt myself on the bloody thing. It was seriously HOT.  :-\ :-\

I am feeding the ESP though a 3.3volt adaptor.

Googled "ESP8266-01 getting hot" and got load of hits from people with the same issue. It seems that there are batch out there with an incorrect resistor. 4.2 Ohms instead of 4.2K Ohms or something similar.

After an hour of messing around with it, it suddenly cooled down but still does not work, probably dead now. I have a couple more units on order so I will put the Parrot back in his drawer till they arrive. :( :( So Close it hurts.

Working with the Idiots Parrot has realigned my thoughts and I now enjoy working with the 20X4 display once more. Clear, bright and functional without having to worry about making the graphics look nice.

Where Thrift Becomes An Art-Form