Re: wood
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 05:17:08 AM »
Interesting - the hoops are not your average type

Offline Swedish Pride

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 01:29:23 PM »
Screw the oven,

Use a blow torch

the oven is for toasting, the blowtorch is for charring, i do both to new wood, only rechar old wood

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
Huey, Dewey and Louie, :)
See here some of my barrels.
The smallest is useless for us I gues 2.5 liters

the middel one is the first refurbished one 12 liters and recharred,problem was it was leaking and leaking I had to renew the sedge gras between the hatch and the barrel wall,and added a very small amount of flour egg white water filling ,result barrel ok,to reduce the angles share I waxed the outside exluding the hatches with bee wax.
This one is topped up with wine and grape extract distilate.

The largest one 22 liters I took it appart and found out  very minimal burn spots so this one needed realy charring,this morning i did the job and took some photo's ,right now the barrel is closed again and slowly filled with water.

If you ever take a barrel appart add duck tape to one end in that way an accident falling the barrel appart when the rings fall of is avoided.
Further if you charr the barrel , protect de end part where the hatch should fit in,I used alu foil.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:48:47 PM by ketel3 »
Better bad weather than no weather

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »
and the last ones
BBq time  :) /thumbsUp

To much photo's Iam sorry
cheers k3

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
Well done!

My preference for barrel size is 20 liters or bigger but smaller is OK too.
Stay calm and follow the screaming people.

Offline Swedish Pride

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 01:48:35 PM »
lovely work ketel3

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 10:02:51 PM »
Thanks Shifu and Swedish Pride,
Yes 20 is about right,for a hobby distiller quit some work to top it up.

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 03:00:29 AM »
At this point I'll relate another "lucky to be alive" story

I was given a 10 litre barrel.. uncharred.. Tap on the end, wooden bung at the waist

I decided to try and char  it so I put some heads in, sloshed it around, emptied it, cradled it on a workbench and put the gas torch to it. It lit up quietly for a few moments, then short of drew itself down into the barrel and started a grumbling roar then a jet of blue flame at least half a metre high shot from the bunghole and the roar increased I in intensity.

The jet and the roar continued and the barrel started rocking around on the benchtop while I looked on in awe!

Slowly,  the rocking subsided, the noise and jet lessened and the barrel sat there with a smug look.

So not being one to avoid a challenge, I said "I'll teach you",  and did it AGAIN....

Well,  Barry the barrel (we were on first name terms by then) became even even angrier and I was forced to move away.

I wasn't game to try for a third time.. I gave the match to Barry on points... But I had my char!!

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 05:39:05 AM »
I do believe that is the best barrel story I've ever heard.

"Yes doctor, Barry burned off my eyebrows".

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
Eucy singing the charring blues  and  became barrel friends for life how was the booze ?

Offline Swedish Pride

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 02:17:20 PM »
At this point I'll relate another "lucky to be alive" story

I was given a 10 litre barrel.. uncharred.. Tap on the end, wooden bung at the waist

I decided to try and char  it so I put some heads in, sloshed it around, emptied it, cradled it on a workbench and put the gas torch to it. It lit up quietly for a few moments, then short of drew itself down into the barrel and started a grumbling roar then a jet of blue flame at least half a metre high shot from the bunghole and the roar increased I in intensity.

The jet and the roar continued and the barrel started rocking around on the benchtop while I looked on in awe!

Slowly,  the rocking subsided, the noise and jet lessened and the barrel sat there with a smug look.

So not being one to avoid a challenge, I said "I'll teach you",  and did it AGAIN....

Well,  Barry the barrel (we were on first name terms by then) became even even angrier and I was forced to move away.

I wasn't game to try for a third time.. I gave the match to Barry on points... But I had my char!!

I frigging love it, I need to get a hold of a Barry if only to see if I could replicate these results

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 03:11:03 AM »
Eucy singing the charring blues  and  became barrel friends for life how was the booze ?

Barry hugged a batch of peppery bourbon for me and mellowed it very nicely.  :)

He's now on his second batch.. Quietly humming away.. I wonder if I'll need to light up his life again at some stage?  ;)

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 03:32:34 AM »
.. I wonder if I'll need to light up his life again at some stage?  ;)

Take video!

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
Barry hugged a batch of peppery bourbon for me and mellowed it very nicely.  :)

He's now on his second batch.. Quietly humming away.. I wonder if I'll need to light up his life again at some stage?  ;)

Fine the peperoni was out of it how long was it in the Barry the barrel ?
Maybe after  3 or 4 uses give it a new char

And yeah Barry's next dance on video  would be great  +1 Shifu

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 04:13:55 AM »
Fine the peperoni was out of it how long was it in the Barry the barrel ?
Maybe after  3 or 4 uses give it a new char

And yeah Barry's next dance on video  would be great  +1 Shifu

2 years, one month and five days... Surprisingly for a small barrel it didn't get over-oaked

Ok - I'll video the next episode - hopefully it won't be the last I make  :o

Offline ketel3

• Admin
  • Eparrot.org
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
2 years, one month and five days... Surprisingly for a small barrel it didn't get over-oaked

Ok - I'll video the next episode - hopefully it won't be the last I make  :o

How large was the Angeles share ?   ???

Offline Swedish Pride

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
I'm thinking I need a barrel for my birthday.
Any one got a good supplier in Europe for american oak barrels, used or new, 5-20l range

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
After so many failed attempts of getting a good barrel here in China I've given up.
I know they can be had but it involves traveling to the other side of the country, bribing officials, paying a ransom, some human trafficking, donating blood plasma... plus a few things I'd not be proud to admit to doing.

So toasted oak in 10 to 15 liter glass jugs for me!

At least til I learn how to sell slaves and little children in exchange for oak barrels. 

*** This was a joke and not meant to be taken seriously (unless you have a barrel to trade and need a small child ;D ;D

Offline Swedish Pride

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
give me a shout when you figger out the barrel to child trade ratio, I've 1 to 3 kids that are up for trade depending on the day

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »
give me a shout when you figger out the barrel to child trade ratio, I've 1 to 3 kids that are up for trade depending on the day

Haha, that made my day Swedish Pride!!   

Actually, I have a few 30+ year old kids for sale. Not good for much but "for sale cheap" in case you are interested.

Edit: One child is a bit "unattractive" (ugly) and is offered at a steep discount.
Just trying to sweeten the deal  ;D