Author Topic: ShiFu's Big Move  (Read 5585 times)

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
ShiFu's Big Move
« on: April 04, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
Was going to post a picture of the destruction of our office/warehouse but the camera battery is dead. Now to find the charger...   
I can probably use my iPhone but that's another thing to learn how to do. 
What, you say? Lloyd has an iPhone? "Why would he have a smart phone?!"     
Well, yes I do have an iPhone. Seems Tan expects me to buy her a new one every couple years and I got her old one.   

NOTHING else says "I love you" in Chinese like the sound of unboxing a new iPhone. 
How to catch a pretty Chinese girl? Anything made by Apple I tell you!! 

Ah, found the charger and a couple of minutes of juice and could snap this...   

Stay calm and follow the screaming people.

Offline Eucyblues

Re: ShiFu's Big Move
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
Hmm - some work to do yet Master Master ... I see the Mercedes bikes haven't been packed yet.. :)

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »
We are getting mixed signals about taking the electric bike. 
The recent news from Shenzhen is they have started to ban then, as has been done in a few other big cities here, citing a high accident rate.   
Complete with a hefty fine and having the bike impounded.   

Opposite that, we talked to an Old Lady while there who was sitting on her electric bike just outside our new warehouse. She informed us where she parked it and charged the battery. The police, like any sane person, don't usually mess with an Old Lady.   

Because of traffic congestion in the big cities, getting a license for a car is ridiculously difficult and expensive. And with subway, city bus and taxi stops so conveniently placed nearby the bike is not truly needed anymore.   
Shopping for food is also close and I'm grasping for reasons to take the bike and the risk. 
The best I can do is the feeling of freedom when flying through the streets, wind wafting my hair and the thrill of returning home alive. Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on.   

Taxi rides are cheap here. The meter starts at about $1 and if you go only a few kilometers the fare is only a couple of bucks. A bus ride is about 19 cents if you have the Metro card which can also be used for the subway or to pay the taxi. I think there are 5 "lines" that compose the Shenzhen subway. About $1 depending on how may transfers to different lines but we went a LONG way, about 45 minutes at high speed, for less than 2 bucks. The same ride by taxi would be $20 and take twice as long.     
So there is no economic incentive to bring the bike. Would miss the hair wafting though.   

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 01:50:28 PM »
We hit our stride today. Breaking down 5 shelving units.   
Exhaustion took over and we said, "Tomorrow!!"   

My distilling area also took a hit but I'll need to focus on breaking down the 5" still.   

Note to Mr. Eucy, not sure I can help test out your code as quickly as I'd hoped. 
Everything is in shambles around here. 

Tomorrow we should finish the Main room of the warehouse and then move on to the store rooms and offices. Then pack up the apartment. 
There seems to be no end to this moving thing. 

OH, and the shelving units are MUCH easier to break down than they are to assemble and sort the products back onto them.  But I think in about one month it should all be over and we'll be settled into our new digs.   
It will be worth it, I keep reminding myself.   

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 07:46:14 PM »
Good Lord !! - just how big is this place of yours??

Never mind about the code - I just wanted you to touchy-feel the buttons - it can wait

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 04:28:02 AM »
The main warehouse is only about 110 square meters, the secondary storerooms and offices are quite small. Our apartment is also small, only about 50 square meters and that will be easy to move.   

I'm getting a lot of whining from Tan this morning and requests for a day off... so its questionable if we'll get as much done today as we did yesterday.   

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
ShiFu - wondering about you.....how's the move going???

Offline ShiFu

• eParrot.org
  • Admin
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »
Getting close, Eb. The sea freight and its documents completed yesterday so today the computers and servers get boxed. Not a lot left at the warehouse to worry about.   
In the apartment, however, there was a slight problem. Tan separated all the clothes "to take" and "to throw away", which were mostly MY clothes that were doomed.   
A stroke a brilliance on my part postponed a battle as I suggested the "unwanted" clothing would be useful as padding for the dishes and glassware.   

We get a lot done quickly once we get started but the enthusiasm for starting has abandoned us about 100 boxes ago. 
We're settled on a 40 foot moving truck which is a little too big maybe but a 20 foot is definitely too small. We had thought to discard our old clothes washer and small refrigerator - though they still work OK - and buy new in Shenzhen. We'll probably take them because of the extra room on the bigger truck (and don't tell her but the small fridge will make a nice beer chiller in my new office).     

We have run out of excuses for not finishing the packing, and we are very creative procrastinators.

Offline Eucyblues

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
Good to hear all is OK
Tan probably wanted to re-wardrobe you once you arrived -turn you into CoolMaster 8)
I guess Bird is getting excited as well... ;)
Edit - just read your Today I... post - now I'm picturing Bird with goggles, helmet and a scarf al-la Snoopy - Red Baron style riding shotgun in the truck...
Hope it works out ...

PS..Grand-daughter 3 is on the way at this moment   ;D 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:52:56 AM by Eucyblues »